Log in

No account? Create an account

Earlier | Later

happy accident, and moving on

It turned out that parkbenchzine was on the right track about my car after all. The appraiser determined that the body work required to completely repair the car was more expensive than the car was actually worth. My mechanic, on the other hand, determined that what the car actually needed was a replacement marker light, removal of the plastic in front that's occasionally grazing my tire, and sealing the hole in the trunk; and that work could be done for around $500. So with the settlement the insurance company's offering if I keep the car, I should end up with a net gain of around $2,000. That will be quite helpful, either in reducing my credit card debt, or as reserve funds to cover a month's mortgage payments, just in case. Most likely I'll put it toward the larger credit card debt, as otherwise I'm unlikely to make any real progress there. The car will still look beat-up, but I can live with that; after all the money I've already dumped into repairing the car in the past year, I would really hate to toss it before I've even managed to pay off those repairs, just because of the body work. I've been expecting to drive this car into the ground anyhow, I just didn't expect someone to help drive it there.

I spent most of my evenings last week, when I wasn't having distracted guys in Porsches careen into the side of my car, boxing and moving the bulk of my non-furniture stuff. That made a big difference on Saturday, when it was time to move the furniture, though as it turned out it might've been better to have some of those boxes around to fill out the truck and reduce the risk of things sliding and falling. Still, with the help of five friends, the move went very smoothly; particularly helpful was my friend Amy's work to pack up the kitchen stuff - food, dinnerware, and appliances - into boxes, which would've taken me much longer if I'd done it on my own afterward, as I had thought I would.

The Sunday after I closed was when I brought the first few belongings over to the condo, as an afterthought to going over there with the vacuum to clean. This past Sunday, after having moved almost all the rest of my stuff the day before, I went to the old apartment to clean and also picked up the few remaining belongings. Because I'd forgotten a screwdriver, I actually still had to go back Monday night to remove the child safety gate that I'd installed to keep Nimiel out from under the kitchen sink; and because it'll take two weeks or so for my DSL to be set up and transferred to my condo, I've left the modem and wireless router set up in the old apartment for the other people to keep using. However, I met the landlord last night for him to inspect the place and to turn over my keys, and he refunded my security deposit. So with the exception of one last trip to pick up my modem and router, and drop off the spare keys, I'm officially moved out and done with the first apartment.

I'm sure I'll occasionally miss living in that area, and I'll miss living so close to my downstairs neighbor and now friend Marie, but all in all I'm quite happy with my new home and not really sad at all to leave. It was a good apartment and I was lucky to get it, but I'm glad to move on.


( 5 have written — Write )
Oct. 20th, 2005 04:10 am (UTC)
We miss you already!
Oct. 20th, 2005 08:00 am (UTC)
I miss me already too! :-)
Oct. 20th, 2005 08:00 am (UTC)
Addendum: I had said that I'd be on dial-up until my DSL is hooked up; however, as I do not subscribe to a regular land-line phone service, I would not actually be able to make the call out to the dial-up service. However, I do have the Airport wireless card in my Mac, and sure enough, out of the six different networks I can detect, one is not secured. I was not surprised that the unsecured one turned out to be the one simply named "linksys".

This is nice because now I can check traffic and the weather in the morning before leaving for work, and also because it looks like my DSL isn't going to be set up until maybe late next week. That is, if the local vendor would stop saying that my address is incorrect (the problem seems to be with Qwest, who presumably are involved by virtue of actually providing the phone number/line that will be used for DSL, even though Covad handles the actual hookup and Speakeasy handles the management).
Oct. 28th, 2005 08:27 pm (UTC)
its just called linksys eh??? what happens if you enter and use admin for the password... :) can you gain control of the router? giggle.. that would be funny. if you're still using this, it might be time to play with bit torrent. : ) or, find out who it is and resell your Speakeasy access!!
Oct. 29th, 2005 02:48 am (UTC)
Access on the linksys account isn't reliable enough. It's routinely between 50% and 75% signal strength, but then sometimes it just drops out completely.
( 5 have written — Write )

Latest Month

January 2019

The List: June 2011

List of tasks or activities I need or want to do this month.


Powered by LiveJournal.com
Designed by Lilia Ahner